Cricket Australia Coaching
Not coaching next season?
Pass on your experience and knowledge to the next coach!
As another season draws to a close, you’re evaluating your season and wondering if you’ll take on the role next year. For some of us, that’s an easy decision – of course! For others, different life experiences might be calling and it’s time to give someone else a go. While you might not know who your successor will be, you play a role in their success. It starts by you telling everyone how rewarding coaching is and how much fun you’ve had this season! No one wants to take on a role that’s hard, takes up lots of time and isn’t rewarding – so pump it up, to everyone you speak to! Coaching can be a fabulous experience for both you and the players and a time in your life you will look back on fondly.
To help the next coach, consider:
- Updating your position description to ensure it accurately reflects what you actually do, at training and on match days. If you don’t have a position description – create one!
- Return all the equipment you used back to the club clearly labelled for the next coach to find.
- Forward these newsletters to them and ensure they have access to attending a coach accreditation course.
- Ensure the junior coordinator is aware of the need to recruit a new creative and inspiring coach and be willing to assist them to find your replacement.
- Finally, think of all the nuggets of gold you’ve either learnt along the way or were told at the start of your journey. Write these down and ensure your successor gets a copy!
Coaching provides us with a unique opportunity to watch our players grow, develop some skills and have success. We hope you enjoyed your time as a coach and thank you for your contribution to Australia’s favourite sport.