Cricket Umpires Australia
NSW Umpire Reaches Extraordinary 750 Game Milestone
Executive Officer of the NSW Cricket Umpires & Scorers Association Darren Goodger reflects on an amazing achievement.
In the 124 year history of Sydney Grade / NSW Premier Cricket, no umpire has officiated more matches than Arthur Watson. Round 14 sees Arthur reach an incredible milestone – he stands in his 750th SCA match. Watson will umpire the 2nd Grade match at Rosedale Oval between Fairfield-Liverpool and Sydney University, standing with Sharad Patel. Taking in to account the Round 14 fixture starting this Saturday, Arthur’s breakdown of matches is as follows.
1st Grade – 365
2nd Grade – 60
3rd Grade – 83
4th Grade – 129
5th Grade – 92
Shires – 21
TOTAL – 750
Watson is a Life Member of both NSWCUSA and the Sydney Cricket Association and has been a member of our Association since 1969. He has given outstanding service to NSWCUSA; as Treasurer from 1977 to 1999 and contributed to the Association as a Board Director, Educator, member of Examination, Technical and Training Committees, and Mentor to so many new umpires.
It is Arthur’s work in recent years with new umpires that has been so appreciated by our members. He has shared advice, counsel and experience with so many members. Many umpires over the years can say they have stood in their first match with Arthur Watson, an experience they fondly remember.
Arthur is highly respected by players, his peers, club officials and administrators, possessing a wonderful gift of the common touch and outstanding match management skills.
Watson officiated at international and first-class levels –
• 3 One Day Internationals in the 1979/80 Benson and Hedges World Series Cup.
• 1 Women’s One Day International – Australia v New Zealand at Oakes Oval (Lismore) in 1992/93.
• 10 first-class matches between 1979 and 1981, which included tour matches played by New South Wales against New Zealand and West Indies.
• 2 McDonald’s Cup matches, including the 1981/82 Final between New South Wales and Queensland at the SCG.
• List A Limited Overs fixture between New South Wales and New Zealand at Wollongong in 1990/91.
• U19 Test Match – Australia v Pakistan at the SCG in 1981/82.
Congratulations are offered to Arthur Watson on this exceptional record, standing in his 750th match. We wish Arthur well for the next two Saturdays at Rosedale Oval and thank him for his contribution to the Association over the past 48 years.