Cricket Australia Coaching

News

Shelley Nitschke Interview

Shelly

"It seemed the natural progresstion for me after my playing career"

In this month’s newsletter, SACA interviewed former SA Scorpions and Australian player Shelley Nitschke and spoke to her about why she got involved in coaching and the experiences and opportunities she has had through becoming an accredited coach. 

How and why did you get into coaching? 

It seemed the natural progression for me after my playing career. I really miss being in a team environment & love working with people, so coaching and helping kids to learn about the game really appealed to me.

What are your experiences of attending the accredited coaching courses? 

I completed the Level One course a long time ago & have been involved in the delivery of the course more recently through my employment at SACA, which has changed a lot since I completed it. The Level 2 & Level 3 courses were full of valuable information & resources to assist my coaching, but personally I found the best learning came from talking to other coaches in the courses about their experiences and thoughts.

Given your experience of coaching boys and girls, are there any significant differences? 

I think generally speaking, boys tend to spend more of their free time watching & playing cricket, so perhaps have more match awareness. Girls that play cricket are usually the only ones in their friendship group that play & don’t tend to have games at lunch & recess like the boys! Boys tend to develop match sense quicker because of this, this is a generalisation though & there are always exceptions.

What are your golden rules when coaching girls? 

If they don’t talk for the first few sessions………… don’t push it & don’t take it personally, it will come!

What would a typical coaching session look like? 

A typical coaching session for me would involve a mixture of warm up/ ‘game’ / skill work, along with some competitive match type game, or match like drill. It is important to me, to finish off by talking to players about the session, asking them what they learnt, what worked out and what didn’t.

What rewards do you get out of coaching girls? 

I think it’s the same as coaching anyone, you get a great thrill out of seeing players perform and succeed, and being able to develop their game to the next level. With the younger players I think it is rewarding when you see them enjoying their cricket, talking about the game or a shot they played / wicket they took. The greatest reward is seeing young players wanting to come back to play more cricket.

For more information and to follow Shelley’s coaching success this inaugural WBBL Season, visit:

http://www.adelaidestrikers.com.au/news/2015/09/15/strikers-lure-nitschke-out-of-retirement-for-wbbl