Cricket Australia Coaching

News

Representative coaching course takes place in Hobart

CTAS

Cricket Tasmania are again in the process of accrediting coaches around the state with the Representative Coaching Course.

The course requires participants to thinks about their coaching role-models, take part in a three-day intensive course with the interaction of Tasmania’s top coaches and players, and creating a coaching philosophy.

The course has a lot of diversity in its participation, with coaches from many different leagues and areas of the state taking part.

The participants all have different reasons that have brought them to participate in the course.

Francis Sullivan is one of the many great stories to come out of these courses run by Cricket Tasmania. 

Sullivan is a very talented sportswomen and has been successful enough to represent Tasmania in cricket, rugby and athletics. 

Now a mother and a personal trainer, Sullivan is expanding on her knowledge of cricket in the Representative Coaching Course to help others try and get the best out of themselves, like she was able to do.

Comparing cricket to her other sporting experiences, Sullivan has found cricket involves a lot of balancing of skills for a coach.

“Yes it [cricket] is individual but it is also a team based sport, so you have to find the balance between batting, bowling and fielding,” Sullivan said.

Sullivan suggests fielding has become a major focus in cricket because it gets all members of the team involved. 

“Being able to develop your skills as a team is really important.”

The Representative Coaching Course demonstrated to Sullivan how far women’s cricket has come since her time in the Tasmanian team.

The focus on video analysis, statistics and areas off the field, such as dietary importance, are some of the examples Sullivan used as components that were not thought about as much in her time with the Tasmanian team.   

Natalie Greening (CT’s Performance Analyst) presented to the participants about the use of technology for the top teams in the state.  

“We were really lucky to have Nat come along to the Representative Coaching Course and show us how she helps the women’s and men’s team pick up things on other players, we did not have any of that access in the 90s,” Sullivan said.

ctas
The Representative Coaching Course has also helped Sullivan think about other areas of her life.

“It really helped, not just with cricket but also with my personal training.” 

“It has made me look at how I deliver my exercises for my clients,” Sullivan said. 

The course also provides a great opportunity for coaches around the state to be together over three days and share ideas. 

Brad Guidotti is one of the coaches who has found that the course has given him a great network with other coaches.       

Guidotti is the head coach at Sorell for the upcoming season and decided to register for the course to get ready for the role.

“I manly wanted to up-skill myself for the role at Sorell,” Guidotti said. 

“I decided the best option was to become a better coach,” 

Guidotti has a focus to help the juniors at his club, either to get them to be successful at Sorell, or prepare them to play in Cricket Tasmanian Premier League.

The course has helped Guidotti think how he can become a better coach for his players.

“Most the things I already knew but I didn’t know how to communicate them well and that’s something I learnt,” Guidotti said. 

“I got very focussed on technical things, especially with batting, but what Dan Marsh explained is that it is more about the process.”

Lyndon Stubbs of Riverside Cricket Club, also found the interaction with Tasmania’s top coaches and players as a great learning experience. 

“Being able to listen to Dan Marsh and Ben Dunk was great, and Wrighty was unreal with his bowling stuff,” Stubbs said.

“Those guys were able to link their stuff from state level and even international level and relate it back to club and junior level.” 

Riverside are one club that has made an effort to get their coaches to participate in the courses run by Cricket Tasmania and Stubbs believes this will influence their club’s training positively. 

“We want to get into the right habits,” he said. 

“At club level the thinking towards fielding is let’s get it done and get out of here. Now we have picked up some technical stuff and know how to train for it better.”

“Our fielding sessions and mentality is one thing that will change,” Stubbs said.

Richard Cowlard has taken up the role as assistant coach at Sheffield Cricket Club. He is also involved in the Emerging Tigers program on the North-West of the state. 

South African born Cowlard has spent four seasons coaching juniors in Tasmania and thinks the course has clarified for him how he will coach this level going forward. 

“Normally you just rock up and do your net sessions but now I want to look more at their mind set, where they are at individually and how I can get them to achieve their own goals,” Cowlard said.

“With setting their own standards, I want them to think how they can achieve these goals.” 

Cricket Tasmania run the Representative Coaching course every year in cricket’s off-season.

For more information, visit community.cricket.com/coach or contact John Hayes, Coach Development Manager E: jhayes@crickettas.com.au 

Written by: Kyle Wisniewski - University of Tasmania Intern Placement

Kyle is an accredited Representative coach who gained his accreditation in 2015, He coaches juniors at South Hobart Sandy Bay CC in the CTPL (Premier Cricket) and is a coach in the Cricket Tasmania Youth Pathway